Sunday, November 22, 2009

Think-Thanks

I had a friend of mine say in a recovery group meeting once, "I used to do drugs to change the way I felt." It was a simple statement that he made, but so profound. There are so many people today who are struggling with so many things. A lot of them know what's bothering them and can't seem to fix it. Many others don't even have a clue to what is making them feel bad. They just know that things aren't right. I too, used to do drugs to change the way I felt. It doesn't have to be drugs. It could be sex, alcohol, adrenaline, co-dependency, food, anger, or a myriad of other mood-changers. You see all these things are just the symptoms of something wrong down deeper in our spirits. They are not the problem, but the problem expressing itself in all these various ways. I came to Christ about 9 years ago, and slowly but surely He started to heal some underlying issues I had and lies I had believed about life and God.

When Christ came into my life a lot of things started to be different as I read His word, and I learned that He died to set me free. I no longer needed to carry heavy burdens in life because He had become my burden-bearer. I didn't have to have it all together at all times because He says "He will never leave me nor forsake me" even when I get all full of myself or pity. Yes, even on the days when I am at my worst He still loves me and you. There is no perfection on this side of heaven, so all you perfectionists just let it go and trust in Him. Quit trying to be perfect, and definitely quit projecting your perfectionistic demands onto others. Poor people, cut them and yourself a break. God loves you and me. He couldn't love you anymore than when He made you, and He will never love you any less no matter how you behave today. That is how He rolls. He is the ultimate people-Person. He is the lover of our souls, and He shouted it to the whole world about 2000 years ago when He came down in the form of a man, lived a righteous, holy life, and then chose on purpose to die that horrible death on the Cross for our sins. Which leads me to why I am writing this blog today.

You see, I have found a better way to change the way I feel these days. If I don't feel right about something today I just take it to the Lord in prayer. I talk with Him honestly and openly about the way I am feeling as He invites us to do throughout the whole of Scripture. The Psalms are full of a loving childs prayers to the God of heaven and earth. The God who knows, who cares, who sees and hears, and answers. Jesus said to His disciples when they asked Him to teach them how to pray, "Pray in this manner, Our Father in heaven..." Wow, do you know how absoulutely revolutionary this statement was back in Jesus' day? Call the God of heaven and earth, "Father?" That could have actually gotten you stoned to death for blaspheming God in those times. But Jesus came to bring into fullness the Old Testament writings, and this is one of the biggest of the full truths. God wants to be our Father. A loving, kind, wonderful Father like none other ever has been or will be on this planet.

So, today as you think about anything good or bad, remember to think, "thanks." If you need to change the way you feel then just start thanking God for all the things throughout your life that have been gifts to you, small or great. Don't hold it in. "Count your blessings one by one..." But don't do it silently. Pour forth out of your mouth the sacrifices of thanksgiving to the Lord who loves you so, and is more than worthy of all our praise. Believe me, after your done you and He will feel much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment