James 1:3 "...knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."
Our Father uses tests and trials to work patience out of us, and into full view of the public. In another part of the Bible we are told "it is by faith and patience that we inherit the promises of God." (ie. Salvation brings eternal life, but I can't actually prove that to anyone until I have died. Therefore, I am patiently believing and waiting for what I know to be assured.) Patience is required for the actual fulfillment, even though I am already saved.
"The trials or temptations of a Christian are the touchstone of their faith, both in the the strict and comprehensive sense. They put to the proof their trust in God, their belief in what God says, of what God promises." (J. Addison Alexander, D.D.)
"It is reasonable to bear that accident patiently which God sends, since impatience does but entangle us, like the fluttering of a bird in a net, but cannot at all ease our trouble or prevent the accident. It must be run through, and therefore it were better that we compose ourselves to a patient, than to a troubled and miserable suffering." (Jeremy Taylor)
Our Father uses test and trials like training wheels on a bicycle to prepare us for what is coming, what is needed, what is profitable for this life and eternity. That being said, we are going to need these verses to remind us that we have to grow. We don't grow if we become miserable every time God designs a test or trial. God is doing it for our good, and the good of the kingdom, not to hurt us or make us miserable. And we are going to need PATIENCE in this life and the next, I suspect.
to be continued...
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment