Monday, December 6, 2010

Why We Do It

I would like to share with you all a very fine letter we received at M101 Ministries for our work in our faith-based women’s dorm at the prison. I would also like to remind you that we can’t do it without the love and support of our pastor, elders, and congregations at the Duncanville Church of Christ and Skillman Church of Christ and all of the other volunteers who have joined with us to try and make a difference in these incarcerated men and women's lives. Of course, all the glory goes to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

“Hey Guys, I have been thinking about paying you my gratitude for the last two years for the change in me. And there just doesn’t seem to be a way that is profound enough.

When I came into this dorm in July of 2009 I was a mess. I had done some work on myself at the God Pod at Plane State Jail where I got transferred from, but still, if you remember, I was a mess (We do). I couldn’t have a conversation without crying, couldn’t look anyone in the eye, had a chip on my shoulder the size of Dallas, and thought that life as I knew it was over.

And I was right. Thank God! So, as feeble as this might seem in response for the hard work you guys have done for me, thank you. For all the lessons, for the care, for the prayers, for praise and worship, for love, for reprimands, for hope, for reality, for teaching me how “to wrap my arms around” ideas, for “walking it out,” and facing my past, my mistakes, my pain, my shame, and my guilt, and to see that no matter what…

I am a precious child of God, a daughter of the Highest King, and a princess.

That I no longer walk with my eyes down, shoulders slumped, jumping at any loud noise or touch.

I stand proud! I can say “no!” I turn to my Bible everyday-all day and pray continuously. I am happy; I have “the peace that transcends all understanding.” I know how to “be still.”

I can breathe, I have faith, and to my amazement; finally, finally at 49 years old I love myself.

Thanks guys, for letting the Lord use you to minister to people like me that society cast off as having no value…In the long run this program works.

Again, from the bottom of my heart “thank you!”

Now is this child of God healed and fixed? Certainly not. But she now has Jesus and great hope for the future where there was only despair. We receive many letters like this one and just want you to know it is good. May God bless you and keep you until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment