Psalm 46:4a “There
is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God…”
When
I think of rivers, I picture a steady, flowing source of life giving water. I
know wherever a river flows there is life. A river can bring life and
satisfaction to huge swaths of land and crops. A healthy, flowing river can be
used to water farms, animals, and people for miles around it. In many parts of
the world, and especially in the Bible lands, the rivers are such a source of
nourishment that people even worshipped (past and present tense) them. You only
need to read the Old Testament books to see how dependent the Egyptians were on
the Nile.
Here
in this verse, there is a river (life-giving flow) that makes the “city of God”
glad. I’m sure this writer may have Jerusalem in mind on an earthly note, but
it makes me think of the steady stream of souls into heaven. It also brings to
my mind the cleansing flow that a body of believers can be to the world around
it. We are called to be cleansed by the washing of the water of the word, and
we are also to have fountains of living water coming out of our most inward parts.
We as committed believers can actually be the force that God uses to stock the
ponds of Paradise. As in all things, Jesus infuses us with his love, his
spirit, and his word, while we turn and share with our faith community, and the
world at large. We become his little streams spilling out in every direction
all over the place.
Being a Christian, and in recovery,
and a staff member at Grace Place Properties (transitional housing &
Recovery program), I get to spend a lot of time around folks who are struggling
to exit horribly, addictive lifestyles. I get to witness on a daily basis the
wonderful works of God. I get to be involved in having discussions and informal
meetings in which people sit around and tell each other how good God has been
in there lives recently.
Earlier today, one of our participants
was sitting around with others of us, sharing how God had answered his prayer
to see his kids on Father’s Day! Let me tell you, just hearing how the Lord had
shaped the circumstances to make that near impossibility happen for him, was
like taking a gigantic drink of cold water out of a river flowing with God’s
mercy. I could tell you a thousand stories just like that one in which people
who have not been around the river of God’s blessing and protection, have begun
to come alive with amazement at just how much God loves them, and how much and
long he has been waiting to have their attention to show them. He really shows
up and shows out when we just trust him.
I have many, many more thoughts on
this verse. So stay tuned for the next river ride we’ll take as soon as I can
get it all down on paper. Be blessed!
…To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment