Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cross-eyed Part Two

Hey everyone, God bless you this week. I am really not sure how many people are actually reading these blogs, but I enjoy writing them and hope that whoever does tune in is being blessed by what the Lord is sharing with you through my heart. Last week we talked about how viewing everything through the Cross of Christ is the way to make sense of some of the hard things that life seems to throw at us. We talked about all the benefits that we have gained as God's children through our faith in Jesus' suffering and dying that horribly cruel death in our place. Yes, it happened around two thousand years ago, but the Bible teaches us that Jesus had to suffer the penalty for our sins once for all men, which means that He did a thorough job of it. No more sacrifices can be made. There is no need for the Savior to do it again. His last words recorded before He died that day were, "it is finished." Praise God that Jesus did it. He suffered and died in our place. He became sin for us so that we could become the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. Again, that means that whoever places their trust in Jesus and turns from their sins to the merciful Savior will be saved. Now that is something to get excited about. It is just as fresh today as it was then.

The truth of it is though that I don't like to suffer. I never have. As a matter of fact, I go to great lengths sometimes to avoid having to suffer any and all kinds of pain. It is a flaw that I think many of us share. The Bible teaches us that we are to endure suffering patiently as a good soldier of Christ because of our great example in Him. I understand that with my mind, but I'm having trouble getting my body to agree. Maybe you are the same way. I heard a preacher on the radio the other day say, "I wonder how many of us stay awake late at night unable to sleep, tossing and turning over the fact that Jesus had to suffer pain immensely for our sakes?" To my horror, I had to face the truth that I don't think I have. Salvation in Christ didn't cost me anything, but growing in Christ is going to cost me everything. I see now how God's plan is that He took the initiative by suffering for us and now it is our turn to reciprocate by enduring suffering for Him. God has never asked us to do anything that He hasn't already done in multiplication for us. He is not unreasonable in His plan for our growth as His children. He knows what we do not, and that is that through our sufferings we will grow strong and beautiful in full view of the world around us to see. You see, if me and the unbelievers of my circle of influence go through the same sufferings here on earth that everyone goes through, they should notice a difference in the outcome. They should notice that I still have peace, joy and power in the Holy Spirit. They should notice that I have a smile on my face, a spring in my step, and a whistle with my walk no matter what pressure I am under. This is the attitude that brings curiosity to them and glory to God. So when they ask me the reason for the faith that is within me I will have them right where God wants them. Ready to receive the gospel. The Bible teaches us that the present sufferings of this world are nothing compared to the glory that will be revealed in us as saints of God. Basically, the underlying motive has to be God's glory or I won't make it through the suffering. The word of God says that, "because of the joy that was set before Him (Jesus), He endured the shame of the cross..." There is always joy on the other side of all that God calls us to suffer through for His sake. Joy unspeakable, joy everlasting.

So I guess what I am trying to express to us all this week is that even in suffering for good, we need to continue to be "cross-eyed" and realize that we have a part too. May God be glorified and you be blessed this week as we join with Him on this amazing journey through life.

1 comment:

  1. "In everything give thanks to God through Jesus"...what a world of difference that makes...makes me practically "cross-eyed"!

    ReplyDelete