Sunday, March 15, 2009
GPS-God's Power Sisters
In the Prison Ministry mission field we have an overwhelming task before us each day. I have worked many jobs in all kinds of industry fields, but never have I had a more challenging and rewarding position as I do now. As a matter of fact, I can't even call it a job because it is way more than that. It is definitely a "calling" from God. I could'nt do it on my own and if it were just a paycheck, I would'nt do it at all. Everyday is a new adventure into the lives of many people who are all over the charts in their understanding of who God is and where His word fits into their lives. There is no way that I can even enter those prison doors without much prayer and even more study. My whole life now is spent on the constant reminder that what I do with Jesus matters and is unattainable without His help and the help of so many others who also have been called by God. You see, we have got to reach what many have labeled the "unreachable." We have got to challenge everything these men and women have believed about their lives and God's place in it. We have got to do it now while they're in between old stomping grounds. If they keep living the way they were living because they keep believing the way they were believing, then they'll keep getting what they've always been getting. That's why I have titled this blog "God's Power Sisters". The sisters that I am about to describe are twins, not identical, but definitely inseperable. Our God calls them mercy and truth. I have noticed that there is a major unwritten rule down at the prison that holds firm between the inmates and the volunteers. It goes like this, "they don't care what you know until they know that you care." The truth is we don't have to convince them that they have sinned against God, man, and community. In many cases, they are fully aware of what they have done and do not need any extra condemnation heaped up on top of them. What they do need is someone to come in and faithfully seek to be along side them who knows truth and will deliver it in love. Proverbs 3:3,4 says it like this,"Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, And so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man." According to these verses, mercy and truth must be kept together. We can tell because of the, "Let not them, Bind them, Write them" statements that begin each part of the verses. To have the one without the other can be grievous to the heart of man and God. Where there is no truth there is danger and where there is no mercy there is damage. These two sisters are the vehicle (singular) that God uses to prick the conscience of a man. The challenge to the wrong belief with the promise of grace to follow closely behind. Thus, we have the "power sisters". To bind them around our necks is to give them the place of honor closest to our hearts from where all ministry should flow from. To write them on the tablet of our hearts is to have mercy and truth pumping the very blood through our veins that will supply every thought and action that we have toward all men everywhere. The result is great favor with God and the people God is calling to Him. Here are some exerpts from a couple of different commentators of old about these incredible "sisters". "Mercy and truth. These two, meeting together and kissing in the Mediator (Jesus), constitute the revealed character of God Himself; and He desires to see, as it were, a miniature of His own likeness impressed upon His children."-Arnot. "Mercy and truth are dear sisters, blessed companions in God, sweet companions in man. Mercy loveth truth, truth loveth mercy, God loveth both; and if man loveth himself, he will do so likewise."-Jermin. I certinly am glad that Jesus is the full embodiment of mercy and truth for without Him we have nothing. May God bless you and keep you as you go mercifully and truthfully into all the world this week. Thanks for listening and you can post a comment here on this blogpage or email me at Brotherdevon@peoplepc.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment