Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Mission

Jesus said "go into all the world and make disciples of Me..." That is our mission because He is our Master. Well, He is if we are of the ones who have given our lives to Him and are seeking to be used by Him in Prison Ministry or any other ministry. Jesus was speaking to His disciples when He said it. I know because it is right there in the Bible for all to see. So, when Jesus said " go into all the world and make disciples of Me...", we should take that as He wants disciples making disciples. In Websters New World College Dictionary the word "disciple" is defined as a pupil or follower of any teacher or school of religion, learning, art, etc. In this case, the school is the Bible. The teacher is the Holy Spirit and we are to be the disciples. I don't remember where I read it, but I think it was in a commentary on Greek culture and there was a picture to be paired with that word "disciple" and I feel compelled to share it with you now. The saying went something like this," the disciple is the one who wears the dust of the Master's feet." Back in those days school was not afforded to most and certainly not the myriad of subjects that are taught now. No, this is a picture of an older man, probably a Rabbi with about 5 to 10 students sitting at his feet as he rests against a big rock or on a stool of some kind. The disciples are sitting on the ground around his feet listening intently to every word from the mouth of the wise man. Can you see it? Picture in your mind the teacher reaching down and scratching his ankle and then crossing one foot over the other for comforts sake. Can you see the dust being kicked up and then settling back down? Guess where the settling of the dust takes place? Right, smack dab on to the clothes of the disciples seated closest to him. Pretty cool picture isn't it? Here is another one. How about when the Master decides to pick up shop and move to another location? Let's say, he starts heading down the dirt path toward the valley so they can get some fresh water from the well. It's about noon and the sun is hot and there is a slight breeze blowing. Guess who is going to be wearing the dust of the Master's feet now? You've got it, the disciples that are following closest behind him. Now, let me ask some real straight forward questions if I may. Are we disciples? Do we have dust on our clothes from sitting at the feet of Jesus? Is there dust in our faces from following our Master as He leads us into all the world today? Have we made time in our schedules to sit down at the feet of Jesus and soak in his word as Mary did? Remember, Jesus commended Mary for choosing the best thing which was sitting at His feet. Oh, I pray that we will never quit being students of God's word. That we will never stop taking the time to sit at the Master's feet. That we will never stop following close behind Him as He leads us through life each day. Oh yeah, and that we will never quit teaching others what the Lord has taught us. I hope this has spoken to your hearts today and in some way reminded you that we never quit learning on this side of heaven because we are disciples making disciples. For that is our Mission. Now, may God bless you and go get dirty:) Brotherdevon.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh... very good.. soaking in His Presense is without any doubt the great place to be.. then and only then can I give to others. If I'm not covered in dust ( I love that! ). then I'm only giving on my own accord, and that can get pretty weird sometimes..
    out of your bellies will flow rivers of living water!!! More Lord!

    ReplyDelete